Thursday, October 30, 2014

Autumn Stew.


My favorite meal to make once the weather turns colder is Beef Stew. This recipe is a favorite for 2 reasons: the crockpot does all the work and everyone loves it. My Littles DRINK this stew. I served this dish last night for dinner and Savannah ate 3 bowls full! Ivy couldn't stop saying, "I love the beef! I love the broth!" it was ridiculous. Goo poked at his bowl for awhile then finally made some progress once he realized his antics were completely being ignored, the rest of us too busy restraining ourselves from licking near empty bowls. This stew is so good that at 9:30 last night I got out of bed for a final bowl, it's stupid delicious.
So without further adieu, I give you the recipe.
BEEF STEW 
Ingredients:
1 pkg of beef stew meat (I have no idea what weight maybe 1 pound? I go to a butcher and get whichever package looks like "enough" depending on how meaty I want the stew)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup, plus 1 can of water
1 packet onion soup mix
2 T tomato paste
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 potatoes, washed and chopped, skins on (I use both red and Yukon)
1 cup of frozen peas
Directions:
Turn ON your crockpot, this seems silly to list but you would be surprised at the disappointment that follows once you've returned home from being absent all day, looking forward to a deliciously slow cooked meal only to find you forgot to TURN THE CROCKPOT ON! LOW if you are leaving it all day 6-7 hours. HIGH if you want this stew to cook in 3-4 hours.
 
Lightly brown the beef in a skillet. Transfer browned beef to the crockpot. Now just layer all the ingredients stirring as you go; both cans of mushroom soup plus one of those cans full of water, the onion soup mix, tomato paste, carrots, potatoes, BUT NOT THE PEAS! Put the lid on and if you can, stir a few times while it all cooks. Peas go in last, 5-10 minutes before serving. Oh I hope you make this, your family will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment