Friday, August 28, 2015

Donuts, Toes and Boobs.


 
Raise your hand if you are ready for the weekend Hutters! Yes, it's okay to raise both. Today is opening day for Apple Hill, I plan on taking the Littles to Rainbow Orchards before school, it has been a long 9 months since we've indulged in one of these Apple Cider Donuts. I can't wait.
The last 4 days have been a bit of a whirlwind for me. I rarely see the doctor and so this week's events have taken their toll. Monday I saw my doctor after becoming concerned with a lump in my breast that had changed shape. What followed Wednesday were 2 mammograms, an ultrasound and a scheduled needle biopsy and follow up mammogram for Thursday morning.   
In the meantime, Wednesday night I broke my toe...again. But it's a new toe I haven't broken before so does it count? Pain receptors say aye. AYE!
While I sit here with an ice pack tucked into my bra let me tell you what happened. I have a long standing relationship with a cyst in my left breast. When I noticed during a yoga pose a small discomfort, I did a self check which pushed me to make an appointment. The lump seemed to have changed shape and density. Fast forward past the 2 mammograms and ultrasound and straight to the biopsy: the biopsy had me nervous. A hollow vacuum needle goes into the breast guided by the image on the ultrasound. The doctor opens up the needle and starts vacuuming up the abnormal breast tissue. Once samples are taken, a marker is placed inside my breast and the needle comes out. I felt none of this thanks to the pre-numbing shots given at the beginning of the procedure. Once the needle is out, extreme pressure is applied to the breast to stop the bleeding. This was painful and because of my typically low blood pressure, I started to feel faint and nauseous. After bleeding stopped and bandage applied I felt better and got up to take a final mammogram. At the machine during the second slide I .....................................................................................saw a tall man in a black suit and bowtie, he was wearing a top hat and was holding his hand out to me. I was about to take his hand and as I reached out.......................................................................................................
nurse Debbie brought me back. She caught me on my way down, I passed out cold. And you know what? Those 5 seconds were the best sleep I've had in days. I stayed laying flat on the floor for quite some time then graduated to sitting up and eventually taking that last mammogram image then retreating to the comfort of my own clothes. I stayed an hour or so longer until I felt good enough to drive myself home. Since then it's been ice packs (boob and toe), Tylenol and laying low. I don't find out the results from the biopsy until next week, which is you know, unnerving. But I do feel optimistic thanks to some reassurance from the doctor and nurses who took exemplary care of me.
 

1 comment:

  1. Love you friend. If you should need anything at all, I am here🌺. Alissa

    ReplyDelete