Friday, September 17, 2010

Tailored.

When I was growing up, my Mom made ALL my dresses. Every one fit perfectly and as I grew she would let out the hems and seams if the dresses were still playtime favorites. I remember my first "store-bought" dress, I got it for my 10th birthday. The only reason she didn't make me a dress herself was because she was starring down the barrel of brain surgery to remove an aneurysm, obviously she wasn't in the frame of mind to make a birthday dress. Anyways, I loved my new dress because "store-bought" was such a foreign and exciting departure from my usual dresses. But what I quickly realized was that store-bought dresses didn't(don't) fit like tailored dresses did(do) and I was very happy the next time she took me to the fabric store to pick out a pattern and fabric. The privilege of having someone make your clothes and having every dress fit so well to my body transferred into a fairly healthy body image for me in what should have been my awkward years. It wasn't until my Mom died that I started feeling body conscious.
Yesterday while visiting my Grandma, The Little Girls each received a brand new dress-"Great Grandma Made". Imagine my delight considering I am not yet brave or skilled enough to try sewing dresses. I wish I knew how but for now, I am thankful for my Grandma and realize that my Mom learned from the best.




No comments:

Post a Comment