Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Revenge.

The Injury.

In March of 2003 the whole Sattler family took a roadtrippin' vacation to Mulege, Mexico. On one of our rest stops, I spotted a barrel cactus so round and happy. Feeling inclined to give it a home, I asked my Dad to help me dig it up, place it in a bucket and hide the contraband in a safe place for our return drive over the border.
Through the years my cactus has stayed the same in size, it's spines deepened into a red color and it's presence providing me memories of that last family trip. Little did I know how it might be exacting it's revenge...
On December 27th, I was standing too close to said cactus while putting a sweater over my head. My left hand came down sharply on top of the cactus shoving stinging spines into the tips of my fingers. I removed all the spines save one. Over the last few weeks my finger has continued to fester until this morning when I finally coaxed the lone spine out of it's resting place. Instant relief.
This compels me to write a letter...

Dear Aggravated Barrel Cactus,
Your message came through loud and clear.
I now realize that besides the agricultural reasons why cactus plants should stay across the border, there is also a vengeful understanding amongst captive cacti species that surely the Mexican people and lawmakers understand. I didn't realize the laws of cactus removal and smuggling were in fact for my benefit. I promise you that if I ever go on another road trip to Mulege, I will stop at the Bouldering Rocks and return you to your original home.
That is...if you remain living until then, Bandito!
Very Sincerely,
Dusty

Spine Specimen.

1 comment:

  1. Too bad you can't exact your revenge by not watering it!

    ReplyDelete