Thursday, January 21, 2010

Compassion.

Savannah asks a lot of tough questions. And so far, there hasn't been one I haven't tried to answer in a way that her 4 year old mind can process. I had no idea I'd be answering the hardest question, "Mommy, how did Huntson get inside Lissa's tummy?" and "how did he come out of Lissa? Through her belly button?", when she was four and based on my answer I'm sure to readdress this question a few years from now. She often asks this one, "Mommy, why did God made us?" or this one, "Mommy why did God make rough boys?".

Last night we were in Midtown, she was very curious about a man in front of us
on the sidewalk seemingly having difficulty zipping up his jacket.
He stumbled a few times and carried on.

Savannah: "Mommy, why does that guy not have a home?"
Me: "A house costs money, and sometimes there are people who have hard times and can't afford to live in a house."
Savannah: "But if he doesn't have a home, he is going to look for a place to live all day and all night and all day again! But if he can't find a home, he will die on the street. Well I hope I don't have to sleep on the street because I will get hit by a car. But I have a nice home. And Angela has a home, and Scott and Erin and Ava have a home, and Shannon Whiknack too. I hope that guy finds a home soon. A real cozy one like mine."

1 comment:

  1. Savannah's sweet nature is so refreshing, to view a homeless man with nothing but concern is what the world needs. I could take a lesson from my precious niece.

    ReplyDelete