Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Comfort.

Two weeks before my Mom died she took a "Quilt in a Day!" class. She then went to a local quilting store and bought each of her four children fabric for a quilt. The quilts were to be our birthday presents for the upcoming year. Shannon's was all cut out and ready for sewing, a loving and talented friend Bonnie finished hers for her. I kept my fabric these last six years earnestly hoping to finish the project my Mom so lovingly started. Last fall Dee Dee told me about her friend from work who makes amazing quilts, Julianne Keeler. I sent my fabric with Deeds and Julianne finished it in time for Christmas. When Dee Dee/Tim gave it to me, I couldn't help but cry. Savannah said, " Mommy what's wrong? Oh, you miss your Mommy."

Dear Julianne,
You didn't just give me a beautiful quilt.
You gave me the tangible gift of my Mom.
There is a void when you loose someone you love, someone who gave you life. They do not create anymore and their clothes and treasures no longer are worn, used or multiplied.
There is a very limited quantity of "tangible Mom".
There are very few surprises left.
It is knowing this that I have only been able to find her inside me in memories and in love. But you gave me my Mom, in a soft and comforting way. You fulfilled her desire to wrap me in her love. I don't know you well, so I can only imagine that you are a beautiful person to have made and given such a gift of love.
The quilt is perfect. Thank you. I love it to pieces.
Love,
Dusty



Another form of comfort...
The BEST pancake recipe ever!
I add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and substitute 2 Tablespoons of ground Flaxseed for the butter.

And...
Savannah found this at the Thrift Store yesterday. I think she was just as excited to play with this Fisher Price Little People's set as I had been when I played with one back in the 1980's.
$4.50 including the furniture and people.

No comments:

Post a Comment