Thursday, June 17, 2010

Fair Night.

A favorite book around our house is Charlotte's Web. From an early age, I romanticized the County Fair based on Fern's coming-of-age moment on the Ferris wheel with Henry Fussy. My first memories of a County Fair are of when my parents would enter the Frog Jumping Contest at the Calaveras County Fair. My Mom used to enter her artwork into the fair and I remember her excitement when she won a ribbon. I loved going to the fair during my high school summers, listen to the bands, check out the boys and eating all that deliciously unhealthy food. What is a twisted potato on a stick anyway?
Now the fair means something different to me. It is all about giving the Little Girls the best time of their young lives. Going down the tall slide as many times as they want and eating copious amounts of cotton candy. I love the lights of the rides, the smell of warm sugar, the excitement in every child's face and running into friends on a perfect warm summer night.
Jenny and Jackson
Tim, Savannah and Jared.
Elation.
The Little Girls, Jenny and I.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, this looks so fun!! I'm terribly sad we are missing taking Will to this. Hopefully next year. Looks like you all had a blast, love the pics and the smiling faces. xo

    ReplyDelete