Monday, May 24, 2010

The Wild Indoors.

This 'Mountain Girl' is the designated wildlife rescuer at our house.
I am responsible for all creatures great and small that are
or aren't our pets. That includes and is not limited to
birds, rodents, reptiles, amphibians and insects.
Mentioning these animals begs the telling of the time of
Tim (standing on kitchen chair) vs. Opossum (hiding behind the
washer in laundry room) at our former home in the Napa Valley.
More specific details of this story might challenge
Tim's masculinity (I took care of the possum).
Last Friday night I saw something moving under the TV cabinet.
A Baby Bat.
I gave him a new home in the Pistacio Tree
outside the Honey Hut. The Little Girls have
been outside checking on him every chance they get.
He backed up and hung in there over the weekend until sometime
this morning when I found him dead at the base of the tree.
I've planned a little burial service for him this afternoon.
A difficult life lesson I think important for the Little Girls' growth
as compassionate humans. This little bat brought us
excitement and wonder these last few days.
I wish he could have made it through.

1 comment:

  1. hi pleased to meet you

    loving your blog

    come pay a visit some time

    ReplyDelete